Champions League Quarter-Final Overview: Bayern vs Sevilla
- After a rough start in the first leg, Bayern assumed control of the tie with a 2-1 victory in Seville. They will be fully expecting to advance to the semi-finals but Sevilla have consistently surprised their opponents in this competition this season. A 3-3 draw in Liverpool during the group stage and a dramatic 2-1 victory in Old Trafford last round to knock out Manchester United means that Jupp Heynckes will be fully aware of how dangerous Sevilla can be, especially away from home. Bayern won their sixth consecutive league title at the weekend with a come from behind victory against Augsburg. Meanwhile, Sevilla suffered a heavy 4-0 defeat against Celta Vigo at the weekend, although Montella played a heavily rotated side. Experience will be an interesting differentiator in this second leg, and although Sevilla will most certainly attempt to mount a comeback, Bayern will look to seal the tie at home. With only one quarterfinal appearance in the last 60 years, in contrast with this being Bayern’s seventh consecutive quarterfinal, Heynckes will have confidence in doing what Mourinho could not do last round. Bayern’s last two home games ended in 6-0 victories. However, with their history against Spanish sides, and Sevilla’s form away from home in this competition, this tie is far from over.
Key Match Points:
- Interestingly enough, Bayern historically has typically struggled against Spanish sides in this competition. Their record is 9 wins to 10 losses, and they were knocked out by Real Madrid at this stage of the competition last season.
- Jupp Heynckes has only ever been involved in 2 other Champions League campaigns and he won both of them. Bayern, like Barcelona, Juventus, and Manchester City, is still playing for a treble and last won one under Heynckes.
- Sevilla has a strong record against German competition, with five wins from nine visits. They will be hoping that a now available Ever Banega can pull the strings for their comeback.
- A rested Lewandowski will look to continue his wonderful season and goal scoring form. He has netted hat tricks in the last two home games for Bayern.